“Time is our most finite resource. There’s only so much of it. That’s how lawyers make money. The only way to earn more money is to somehow create time. And you can’t do that unless you bring in people.”
Montage Legal’s Erin Giglia shared this information, and much more on a recent episode of the Financially Legal podcast from Gravity Legal. Financially Legal is a twice-monthly podcast about the finance and economics of the legal sector hosted by Dan Lear, Head of Marketing and Partnerships at Gravity Legal.
In the episode, Dan and Erin talked about how Montage Legal got started (“We started a company, put up a website, built the entire thing ourselves.”), how and why Montage isn’t a law firm (“Initially we set up Montage Legal the way we did – as a business and not a law firm – because, frankly, we didn’t want to deal with clients.” Erin told Dan), and why understanding and using distributed legal talent is imperative in our modern business environment, particularly now (“I can guarantee you that every law firm has a competitor that’s utilizing distributed legal work . . . and those law firms that are doing it recognize the amazing benefits that it provides.”).
Erin and Dan also talked about how Montage balances the demands of managing a growing business while also prioritizing work: “Our goal is not to grow our company as big as we can or earn as much money as possible. Our goals are to be as helpful as possible to as many people as we can within the confines of our own sanity.” Erin further stated:
“Ultimately, every lawyer has to make the decision ‘how much work do I want vs. how much is my time worth to me.'”
Big thanks to Gravity Legal and Dan Lear for the opportunity to tell our story and for getting the word out about Montage Legal Group’s freelance attorneys.
Gravity Legal is also providing a special offer to attorneys and firms in the Montage Legal community through the end of September for those of you who may need electronic payments:
- Accept Electronic Payments for Invoices and Trust Deposits
- Accept bank transfers (ACH) for free (up to $15,000 per transaction)
- Accept credit/debit cards for a simple flat rate of 2.95%
- Split a single client payment and deposit portions into multiple bank accounts
- Let your clients pay from the convenience of their computer or mobile device
- Account for Every Cent of Client Trust Money
- 3-way trust account reconciliation report reviewed by professional accountants and delivered right to your inbox monthly for $49
- Free initial consult where you can ask questions and get help with any outstanding reconciliation issues