For those attorneys out there who are thinking about going out on their own – either as freelance/contract attorneys or solo practitioners – but are not sure how they will be able to afford the marketing costs, take a look at the recent blog post by Dawn Berryman on Hybrid Mom: 5 FREE Necessities for Your 2011 Marketing Plan. The article gives five simple marketing tips that can benefit new solo lawyers, without costing anything. Check out the full article when you get a chance, but here’s a quick summary:
1. Search Engine Optimization – By writing content-rich, relevant copy for your blog and/or website, you can increase your SEO for free.
2. Social Media – Connect with potential business partners, future customers or even future employees on Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin.
3. E-news: There are several sites that offer free e-newsletter services, allowing you to update your clients and potential clients once a month.
4. Media Relations: Although there are a few tricks and formatting rules to press release writing, it isn’t rocket science. With a little research and a little practice; you can do it, too.
5. Real-life Networking: Don’t forget about face-to-face marketing!
As you can see, it doesn’t have to cost anything to market your own law firm!
Dawn Berryman is the founder of Market Mommy, an online marketing resource for mom business owners. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University. She has worked in the marketing and communications field for the past eight years. She and her husband reside in rural Ohio with their two pre-school aged children.